GINGER CAKE WITH LEMON, HONEY AND ARTONIC GINGER BEER
Created by Jane O’Donoghue,
Cognac, France ▶︎
- 250g plain flour
- 1.5 teaspoons baking powder
- 0.5 teaspoons of bicarbonate soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- Zest of 1 orange
- 114g unsalted butter ( room temperature)
- 270g clear honey
- Juice of 1 orange
- 125ml whole milk
- 2 eggs
- 50g caster sugar
For the syrup:
- 130ml Artonic Ginger beer
- 120g icing sugar
- A few fresh lemon thyme sprigs to decorate.
Pre heat oven to 180’C / 350’F/ Gas 4
Grease and line mini loaves tin
In a small bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, ginger, cardamom and orange zest .
In a larger bowl mix the rest of the ingredients until smooth then slowly spoon in the flour mix until incorporated.
Bake for 22 minutes ( test with a tooth pick and if it comes out clean they are cooked)
To make the syrup:
Heat the ginger beer with icing sugar in a small pan until sugar has dissolved and the liquid has reduced a little.
Pour over the hot cakes and decorate with lemon thyme.
Let cool in pans 10 minutes before removing.